Re: [css3-text] Re: Orphan control in CSS

On Thursday 2012-01-05 11:20 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I like the idea.  I'm not sure what best to call it, but it seems
> useful and easy to understand.

I don't like it.  I haven't heard of control to prevent a single (or
other small number) of words on the last line as being a feature
people use without also having a line breaking algorithm that would
take the words from somewhere other than the next-to-last line,
i.e., a line breaking algorithm that does whole-paragraph (or at
least bunch-of-lines-at-a-time) optimization.  I tend to think that
without whole-paragraph line break optimization, it's just going to
make things look funny and authors aren't going to want to use it
(perhaps with exceptions for very limited cases, like headings that
will appear on either one or two lines).

Before we add this, I'd like to see evidence that there are existing
systems that provide this feature without also providing other
features that you're not proposing to add, and that users of those
systems use the feature.

I'm also not sure if word count is the right metric here, given how
much words vary in length.

-David