Re: Forums

I'm subscribed to at least 26 mailing lists. I use GMail. Without the
ability to search accurately across lists, correctly handle messages that
went to multiple lists, handle threading, kill threads, instantly see new
messages posted to any list filtered according to various criteria, loop in
specific people or lists to a conversation, all usable efficiently from my
phone as well as any of my desktop machines, my productivity would
nosedive. So, no interest switching to 26 Web forums.

However...

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Matthew Wilcox <elvendil@gmail.com> wrote:

> a) what a mailing list is
> b) the criteria to join one
> c) set up their mail account to handle a list
> d) subscribe via email
> e) then learn that to see an archive they have to abandon the list and go
> to a web page. Somewhere.

Yes, this can be a pain and it could be made a lot better. For one thing,
(shameless plug) BrowserID could be used to make joining a mailing list
one-click. Better still, when providing an interface for archived email
that sucks less, the interface could include an inline posting facility
that lets people send messages directly without having to join the list.
You could make it look almost exactly like a forum. Except without
destroying the productivity of the people who work here.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us