Re: % is not a valid unit for border-width

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Matthew Wilcox <mail@matthewwilcox.com> wrote:
> If you'd like to see an example in reality please take a look at
> http://adaptive-image.com - A site I built using liquid layout. Take a
> look at the gallery on the homepage, note how when the browser is
> resized the scale of everything changes *in proportion*. Now, Imagine
> that I want to have a border around the thumbnails and retain this
> scaling behaviour. It is not possible with current CSS, unless you
> cheat by polluting the mark-up with extraneous divs.

You mean <http://adaptive-images.com>.  I was *horribly* confused for
a bit.  ^_^

> Please note that the point is NOT that the user may resize the
> browser. It's that because it is defined as %, we can have a website
> that fills the screen of any given device *and is correct in terms of
> proportion* no matter where inside our acceptable range the screen
> size sits.
>
> For mobile this is absolutely crucial. There are not set standard
> sizes of screen, there are way over 20 different "mobile" sizes for
> android devices alone. That's why we're all going liquid layout,
> that's why % border widths are very important and no longer "edge
> cases". It's going mainstream already.

Good example.  Now that you bring this up, I'm reminded of several
horizontal navigation bars I've put together where I had trouble with
borders for the same reason.

This sounds like a reasonable use-case, then!