Re: line-height suggestions and easier alignment

On 1/4/12 12:13 PM, "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> wrote:

> I am inclined to be against adding anything else  until the problems
> listed, carefully explained with regards to section 10.8 of CSS 2.1 are
> not addressed to begin with. Anything else added into the leading model
> (CSS3) needs to be extremely very well justified, substantiated.

Gérard,

The basic problem is not being able to control where the leading is applied.
Specifically the part of 10.8.1 that divides the leading and adds half to
the top and half to the bottom. Not all typographic systems work that way
(as you found in your wikipedia research). Adding a property to modify how
leading is applied could ease the impedance mismatch.

We will certainly need to justify and substantiate the need, but I think
Richard's made a good start with his page of examples. Here's another,
simpler case. In the code below I'd like to align the text to the top of the
line box (as I get when I set line-height to 1em). Vertical-alignment
doesn't help, but if I had a way of placing all of the leading below the
line it would work the way I want.

    .line {
        line-height:2em;
        background-color:lightgray;