Re: getComputedStyle and border property.

On 30/12/11 14:19, L. David Baron wrote:
> There are many shorthand properties that can't represent the full
> space of the longhand properties that they set.  'border' is one of
> them, since it cannot set different borders on each side.
For what it's worth, I still remember how confusing I had found this
when I was learning CSS a few years ago. I was expecting values like
border: 1px 2px 3px 4px solid dotted black white; to work like their
individual longhands, which I found out they didn't. To day, I still
haven't understood the rationale behind this decision. It would be
unambiguous, doesn't introduce lookahead, and is certainly useful.

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)