Re: [css3-images] Disposition of Comments DRAFT

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:47 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/issues-lc-2012
>
> ====== On element() ======
>
> There's a ton of substantive issues on element(), particularly on the use of
> elements that are not in the document. Given:
>
>  - the number of issues and their relative severity
>  - the state of references to CSSElementMap

The reference is informative.  Nothing else needs to be said.

>  - various other things that are undefined (style resolution of elements
>    not in a document, anyone?)

This is an issue, but it needs to be defined for CSS in general.
Boris found it acceptable to call it explicitly undefined for now,
with a note recommending behavior that avoids the undefined behavior.

>  - and the fact that the currently-proposed solution requires either
> scripting
>    or presentation-only elements in the document even for simple cases like
>    "I want to use a bunch of statically-defined paint servers written in
> SVG"

Don't mix together the notions of "presentation-only HTML" and
"presentation-only SVG".  *Most* of SVG is presentation-only.  That's
the point.

Inserting something like <svg><defs><pattern
thing as inserting dummy <div>s or something.  It would be *better* if
we could, say, embed SVG in a CSS file, but it's okay to insert them
into your HTML too.

(A future extension of element() that lets it take a URL so it can
point to a paint server in another SVG file will provide another nice
way to solve this.)