Re: [css3-flexbox] ED updated: algorithms and 'flex' property

On 02/28/2012 04:59 PM, Tony Chang wrote:
> I like this idea.  To expand on it further, we would have three separate
> properties (e.g., positive-flex, negative-flex, flex-preferred-size) and
> flex would just be a shorthand.  All would default to 0.  If we're not
> in a flexing context or if positive flex and negative flex are both 0,
> we would use width/height.  We only use flex-preferred-size if we have a
> positive or negative flex value.

I like the sound of this too -- one thing though.  It sounds like with
your proposed semantics, the 50px here would be ignored:

That seems undesirable.

(With your proposed semantics, I suppose the correct markup to achieve
the above would be just "width: 50px" instead of "flex: 0 0 50px".  But
I bet authors would probably be confused about why "flex: 0 0 50px"
doesn't work, especially when "flex: 1 0 50px" works...  Not sure how
much this matters.)

~Daniel