RE: Proposition. Positioning content with guidelines

> From: Alexander Shpack [mailto:shadowkin@gmail.com]
> In continuation to the topic http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0097.html
> This is my second attempt, I changed the guideline declaration, make more examples.

Hi Alexander,

Before jumping to a new solution I think it would be helpful to articulate the problems you'd like to see solved.  Maybe some of them already have solutions or some could be solved with minor changes to existing specs and maybe some problems shouldn't be solved with CSS.  It's difficult for me to reverse engineer what those problems are by studying the beginnings of a new specification.

>From your discussion with Francois REMY it seems one of the perceived problems may be that everything must be explicitly positioned on the grid, and for some scenarios it might be simpler (or necessary) to infer something about the proper position of a grid item based on its source order or other CSS properties.

Does that sound right?  If so, then I think Francois has it right: the grid auto placement feature is meant to address these issues, but still needs some work.  Now is a great time to highlight what scenarios are important to solve with the auto placement algorithm.

What would really be helpful for me is a list of layouts that you'd like to achieve that you think can't be accomplished through some combination of our existing layout types, and why it's important to achieve those using CSS (in particular with the grid).

-Phil