RE: [css3-regions][css3-page] region based page templates

[Brad Kemper:]

> On Feb 23, 2012, at 8:44 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> generated pseudo-elements (like ::before and ::after too). Something like
> >'getElementsByTagName("body")[0].pseudos.slot[0]'.addEventListener(click,
> myfunction)'.

> look like. I haven't thought about it much yet but my working assumption
> is that it could be trickier than it looks.

> would be simpler if you just register event handlers with the nearest
> enclosing explicit DOM element, and then have a field that allows you to
> figure out which anonymous box was hit.
>

> >> So... Something like this?
> >>
> >> getElementsByTagName("body")[0].addEventListener(click, myfunction,
> >> pseudos.slot[0])
> >>
> >> Or maybe I misunderstand you. Legacy browsers would ignore the extra
> argument, wouldn't they?
> >
> > I believe he means a property on the event object exposing which
> > pseudo on the event's target was hit.  So if you just wanted to listen
> > for clicks on a ::before, you'd write something like:
> >
> > el.onclick = function(e) {
> > if( e.target.pseudo == "before" ) {
> > }
> > }
>
> Oh, OK. I like that. It is clean, and makes sense.
It makes sense; I'm not sure having string-based switch-case branching is
so clean if/when you'll deal with entire pages worth of auto-generated
pseudos. So while I think it makes sense to have this capability (it'd be
useful even today imo) I'm not sure it's enough though it's a fine place to
start.