From: Alexander Shpack
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:17 AM
To: www-style
Subject: Proposition. Positioning content with guidelines

Hello, folks!

In continuation to the topic
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0097.html
This is my second attempt, I changed the guideline declaration, make
more examples.

Main goals is next

1. This is an attempt to unite several different positioning
technologies into one
2. Leave the possibility of control  the positioning over DOM Core
methods, not CSS part.
3. Authors don't control the position of blocks directly, they use
flow and fuzzy logic to bind content to the some flex grid.

What is guidelines?

This is usual boxes, but with zero width and infinite height for
vertical guidelines, and zero height and infinite width for horizontal
type.

Guidelines have all of box properties: padding, margin, border, and
may be visible. (web authors don't needed to learn the new features)

It placed between box background and content. (z-index stack still
without any change)

All of new selectors, like :nth-child(), :not() applies to guidelines.
(this code is works fine already)

Possible two types of guidelines: repeatable and not repeatable.
Default type is "not repeatable";

If type of guidelines for box is "repeat", UA must fill this box with
guideline boxes, like texture. If box width will changed, UA should
refill guidelines first. (texturing, I think, is not complicated task
for browser developers)

Content inside guidelined box may be snapped to the nearest or
specific guideline by any edge. Line-box snapping possible too. This
is like flex, but with more control.
Guidelines may be snapped backward to the content.

The guideline box model and position described here
http://sorrow.tavrida.net/img/1_general.png

Guidelines tiling
http://sorrow.tavrida.net/img/2_tiling.png

Snapping examples