Re: wading into the Prefix morass...

On Feb 20, 2012, at 11:56 AM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> This is what led to me wondering (a few emails ago) if we could
>> usefully use draft-specific prefixes for features, and only change
>> the prefix if the parsing had to change.
>
> On one specific point, just an observation...
>
> Parsing changes aren't the only spec change that introduces incompatibility.
>
> Draft A:  0 deg points right
> -draft-linear-gradient(10deg, red, blue);
>
> Draft B:  0 deg points up
> -draft-linear-gradient(10deg, red, blue);
>

> I can give you specifics on which draft versions if it's actually useful for you.

Exactly. There were also times when the same blur radius produced very, very different results between -webkit-box-shadow and -moz-box-shadow. As an author, I was able to make the results more consistent by giving different values to each. Then by the time they were unprefixed in CR, we had decided on a more consistent way to determine the results of blur.