Re: wading into the Prefix morass...

On Feb 20, 2012, at 11:53 , Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Le 20/02/12 20:39, David Singer a écrit :
>
>> so, instead of -webkit-frotz, we might see -css-a-frotz, -css-b-frotz, and so on (as the definition of frotz evolves), with some final definition being -frotz and equivalent to -css-r-frotz (well, I hope we don't have 'r' revisions of anything).
>>
>> I use -css- to suggest "the definition currently 'belongs' to the CSS WG", and the lack of it to say "it's now owned by the whole wonderful world and its web"…
>
> David,
>
> This was indeed suggested multiple times in the past. But since you're
> the Apple AC-Rep, maybe you can answer that easy question: if we do
> that, will Apple remove such early prefixes from WebKit even if they
> are shipped and used in the wild? Without a VERY firm "yes", I will
> increase the problem only, not decrease it…

I think if a vendor introduces an idea, that then transitions into a CSS WG item, they ought to recognizer their vendor prefix while it's theirs, and the CSS prefix once it goes to the W3C.  I don't think they should be required to then drop *support* for the vendor prefix, but of course, I agree, it would be most helpful if they then *evangelized* the CSS prefix and 'ceased to mention' their old vendor prefixed version.  Is that what you are asking?

David Singer