Re: [css3-ui] Negative values in outline-offset?

On Feb 16, 2012, at 2:10 AM, Leif Arne Storset wrote:

> Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> skreiv Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:45:07 +0100

>>> IMO the UA should floor it at the least offset it can support. It shouldn't
>>> *not* draw the outline.
>>
>> Yes, our behavior sounds like a silly bug.  We can floor it instead.
>> That should be an easy thing to change.
>
> Just to make sure I understand: The new suggested behavior would be to floor the outline-offset to the lowest value that will draw the entire outline. In Kenny's test case, this would draw an "outline" in the middle of the element - sort of like strikethrough, only it would be a few pixels tall, invert the text by default, start after the start of the text and extend almost to the width of the P element.
>
> An illustration of this boundary condition, based on Kenny's TC:
>
> data:text/html,<p style="height: 20px; outline: solid; outline-offset: -10px;">Test
>
> No objections to the change, if I have understood it correctly; the outline should reliably be visible.

Safari (at least on the Mac) has a UA stylesheet with
	outline-style: auto;
	outline-width: 5px;

...where 'auto' creates a glow effect similar to a box-shadow with no offsets. I think the floor should be the lowest value that will draw at least 1px of the outline-width. Thus, if the outline-width is more than element width or height, you could still see some of the glow.