RE: [css3-grid-layout] 'grid-row' vs 'grid-rows', 'grid-column' vs. 'grid-columns'

This is a good idea.  I like your first option (grid-position-*) over grid-template-* since you don't need a template to define a grid.  I'll put an issue on the grid spec wiki [1] to make a change.

[1] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css3-grid-layout

-----Original Message-----
From: fantasai [mailto:fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 8:16 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: [css3-grid-layout] 'grid-row' vs 'grid-rows', 'grid-column' vs. 'grid-columns'

[This a series of comments arising from Bert and I attempting to merge the Template and Grid models into a combined Grid Template model so that we can have one layout model going forward. Some issues arise from merging.
Others are "we found lots of issues while attempting to merge" comments.]

Wrt
   grid-row and grid-rows
   grid-column and grid-columns

It's very confusing to have two properties that differ only by pluralization. They differ significantly in what they mean. It would be better to have a different naming scheme, such that their names are as distinct as their functions.

One option:
   grid-row -> grid-position-row
   grid-column -> grid-position-column

   (grid-position becomes an obvious shorthand of the two.)

Another option:

   grid-rows -> grid-template-rows
   grid-columns -> grid-template-columns

   Perhaps with
     grid-template -> grid-template-slots
   and 'grid-template' as the shorthand for the three.
   (See <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Feb/0825.html>
    wrt shorthand.)

~fantasai