Re: [css3-flexbox] when are margins on flexbox-items computed & subtracted from available space?

On 02/17/2012 08:57 PM, Daniel Holbert wrote:
> On 02/17/2012 10:57 AM, Daniel Holbert wrote:
>> On 02/16/2012 06:42 AM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>> > All flexbox algorithms deal with margin boxes. If it is not
>> > made clear in the algorithm, it may need to say somewhere that
>> > margins, border and padding are added to the preferred size.
>>
>> Ok -- thanks for clarifying that. I think that's not particularly clear
>> in the current spec (though it makes intuitive sense).
>
> In particular, I think the spec uses "main size" a bit vaguely right now. In many places, "main size" refers to the
> content-box -- but the flexbox algorithm section seems to use it to refer to the margin-box. I think we need to be explicit
> when we use this term to refer to the margin-box.
>
> For example: the following text (from Flexbox Layout Algorithm, step 4.2) probably wants to say something like "sum of their
> margin-box main sizes" instead of "sum of their main sizes":
> {{
> Collect as many consecutive flexbox items as possible, starting from the first item, while keeping the sum of their main size
> smaller than the flexbox's available space.
> }}

CSS defines the term 'outer width' and 'outer height' to mean
the margin box sizes. They're used in particular in the float
algorithms, since those are all about margin box sizes.
Perhaps the Flexbox spec could reuse them here.

~fantasai