Re: [css-variables] the new ED for CSS Variables

I agree, I've said in the past that I think this is the best idea for
"variables" in CSS that I've seen put forward.

Minor editorial type comments on the current state of the draft:

I mentioned this a few months ago, but I would like to reiterate:  I
think it is definitely worth going to some measure to ensure an
understanding of the actual relationship between data properties in
CSS and data properties in HTML as I can easily see confusion here
with people doing something like:

and then expecting to be able to say:

    div{
          property:  data(foo);
    }

Or vice versa.

The table in section #2 just says "see prose) for a description, but
the relevant bit it probably small enough to fit, "anything that is
valid according to the value production in the CSS Core Grammar."
Likewise, in the same table (or at least in the prose) it is probably
worth mentioning that the data-* would have to be "anything that is
valid according to the identifier production in the CSS  Core
Grammar".

I know that this has come up in other threads recently too, but - is
there some rationale for splitting this into two _very_ small drafts,
one that deals with the CSS part, and the other that deals with the
CSSOM extensions part?  It seems that the later is less done and given
the state of CSSOM it could hold things up needlessly.  I agree though
that access through CSSOM would be good - but that almost seems like a
whole separate topic and a whole different level of complexity at this
point...

-Brian

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Daniel Glazman