Re: [css3-ui] 'resize' and 'overflow'

On 2/15/12 9:22 PM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
>    # The ‘resize’ property applies to elements whose computed
>    # ‘overflow’ value is something other than ‘visible’. If
>    # ‘overflow’ is different in a particular axis (i.e. ‘overflow-x’
>    # vs. ‘overflow-y’), then this property applies to the dimension(s)
>    # which do not have the value ‘visible’.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-box/#overflow1 clearly says:

   The computed values of ‘overflow-x’ and ‘overflow-y’ are the same as
   their specified values, except that some combinations with ‘visible’
   are not possible: if one is specified as ‘visible’ and the other is
   ‘scroll’ or ‘auto’, then ‘visible’ is set to ‘auto’.

So the only way to have overflow be "visible" in one direction but not
the other is for the other direction to be "hidden".  Though I believe
an earlier version called for that to become "auto" in the "visible"
direction as well?  Certainly that's what Gecko does right now

> Firefox's current implementation is
> somehow in the middle as 'resize' doesn't apply to elements of which
> both 'overflow-x' and 'overflow-y' are 'visible'

Yes, because those actually stay as "visible" in the computed style.

The overall question about what the right behavior is remains, of course.

-Boris