RE: [css3-mediaqueries] DPI in resolution media queries (was: Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions Paris F2F 2012-02-08 Wed AM I:)

[Lea Verou:]
> Subject: [css3-mediaqueries] DPI in resolution media queries (was: Re:
> [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions Paris F2F 2012-02-08 Wed AM I:)
>
> This basically renders resolution media queries *completely useless*, at
> least in screen media types, just like inches and cm lengths currently
> are.
> With the increasing diversity of devices and their resolutions, this
> would've been tremendously useful to help maintain a readable, comfortable
> experience no matter the screen DPI. There is currently *no
> way* to do that.
> UAs have shown that it *is* possible to implement this as physical DPI,
> for example that's what Gecko does.

Possible being the key word here. If and when the OS can give the UA accurate
info, then it is possible for every driver/peripheral that tells the OS the
truth.

> I understand the legacy reasons behind defining the in and cm units with a
> fixed dpi, but there are no legacy reasons to screw this one up. Yes, it
> might be more consistent, but what's really the value of being consistent
> with mistakes?!

It'd be easier to understand the mistake(s) given use-cases. Or better, links
to sites that depend on Gecko's behavior as you understand it?