Re: [css3-background] background-position-x background-position-y

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:04:26 +0100, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> [Florian Rivoal:]
>
>> Three browsers / two engines (trident and webkit) support background-
>> position-x and background-position-y, and do so unprefixed.
>>
>> If people against it can convince people shipping it to drop support,
>> I'd
>> be satisfied, as that would force authors to move back to standard
>> compliant ways of doing the same thing.
>>
>> Since I doubt this will happen, I'd like to have it specified.
>
> If it does cause breakage then that does sound reasonable. Do you have
> examples?

Sure. All mobile gawker properties are affected (m.gawker.com,
m.gizmodo.com,
m.lifehacker.com...). The smartphone version of google's search page used
it
for a while too (it appears to be gone now). In both cases, it is used for
spriting purposes, and not supporting it makes the page ugly and
dysfunctional.

I have also pasted at the bottom of this mail a list of sites out of
alexa's
top 10000 that grep positively to background-position-(x|y). Not all of
these
are broken due in browsers that don't support the properties, but it
illustrates
that the cat is out of the bag.

> Also, does your subject line header indicate you want to address this in
> the current level?

I have no strong opinion about this. If it can be done in the current level
without delaying it, why not. Otherwise, next level is fine.

  - Florian

-------------

List of sites grepping positively on background-position-(x|y)

www.10086.cn