Re: [css3-writing-modes] rename 'text-orientation' initial value to 'mixed-right'

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:21:05 +0100, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 02/15/2012 09:13 AM, John Daggett wrote:
>>
>> In CSS terminology, 'normal' is usually associated with default
>> behavior.  It is *not* an assessment of what is "normal" in the general
>> sense of the world.
>
> I agree with Koji on this point. I would rather not use 'normal' here
> because the behavior is very abnormal for non-vertical writing systems.

+1 for not using normal here.

>> The term 'mixed-right' communicates *very* little, I don't think anyone
>> would understand what that means without looking up the definition.  And
>> by labeling it something other than 'normal' it's easy to miss that this
>> is the default behavior.
>
> It communicates that the orientation is mixed, and that it's related
> to the orientation sideways-right: both turn some text 90deg clockwise.

I don't think mixed-right is particularly nice, but it is not worse than
the ones we've used before. I don't care too strongly either way between
the current alternatives, and I hope we'll find a better one eventually.

As for upright vs stacked, I have a mild preference for stacked, as it is
a better description of the behavior, and as it leaves upright available
in case we ever want that behavior.

  - Florian