ability to change syntax (was Re: [css3-transforms] Making transform-origin a list, converting transform to comma separated)

On Monday 2012-02-06 00:38 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is a recent thread on this list by Tab & fantasai about review of
> > functional notation in CSS, pretty much everything suggested there would
> > also break backwards compatiblity in incompatible ways just as much.
>
> We could change gradient syntax, honestly, because I *kept changing
> it*.  It never got to stabilize, and browsers implemented it at
> various points, so everyone was somewhat different *anyway*.

I'm not yet comfortable describing anything about gradients as a
success.  I think it's entirely possible that the number of changes
the working group has made will lead to serious failure.  And I
think it's definitely not a model we should emulate.

-David