Re: Mailing list traffic

Le 01/02/12 11:09, fantasai a écrit :

>> January 2012 was the busiest month of all time for www-style according
>> to the archives, with over a quarter more mails than the previous
>> record. I am used to this amount of traffic and it might be an
>> exception, but the Working Group should probably start making plans
>> splitting the list if the traffic levels sustain (such as splitting it
>> into a "static" and a "dynamic" portion, where the latter would discuss
>> APIs and animations while the former discusses the rest, as an example).
>
> Agreed. I do think we need to split the list somehow; it's been on my mind
> the last several months. I'll ask to put it on the agenda for the F2F.

I disagree entirely.

First, nature hates vacuum: turn one list into 4 and we'll
end up with four times more traffic to read and digest. Second,
co-chairmen of the WG have to digest www-style to work on agendas and I
certainly don't want to multiply that work by n. Third, the recent
increased traffic in www-style was created by some endless discussions
that don't always have an immediate technical value for the
standardization work (128 messages about "Forums" for instance); in
short, this is part of the signal/noise ratio that is inevitable when
standardization work like ours happens in public. Create new lists and
you'll soon have the same problems there plus the fact people not
familiar with us will never know where precisely post a request/comment.

</Daniel>