Re: [css3-writing-modes] vertical font features

On 04/25/2012 07:09 PM, John Daggett wrote:
>> From the revised version of section 5.1.1:
>
>> For sideways characters in ‘mixed-right’ and ‘upright’ modes,
>> vertical typesetting features are not used. However, if the
>> font has features or alternate metrics meant to be enabled for
>> sideways text that is typeset in vertical lines, those features
>> and tables are used.
>
> This isn't quite right, especially the term "alternate metrics".
> Sideways runs are set using the horizontal metrics and the normal
> set of features used for horizontal text runs. I think you may be
> trying to refer to the proposal in Appendix C to add a new
> feature, 'svrt', specific to sideways runs within vertical text
> runs.  I would suggest either referring to it directly or
> omitting it.

Removed mention of metrics.

>> In the ‘sideways’, ‘sideways-right’, and ‘sideways-left’ modes,
>> text is typeset using horizontal font metrics and the normal
>> set of features used for horizontal text runs. Vertical metrics
>> and vertical glyph variations are not used.
>
> I think you could merge these two paragraphs and it would be clearer
> and more succinct.

The paragraphs here cover:
   * upright characters in mixed/upright modes
   * sideways characters in mixed/upright modes
   * all characters in sideways modes

While I agree the editorial structure of this section isn't ideal,
I don't think merging the second two cases makes much sense. So
I'm going to not make this change.

~fantasai