Re: [css3-text] full-size-kana and @text-transform

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:25:31 +0200, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:

> Håkon Wium Lie:
>> John Daggett wrote:
>>
>> Authors are unlikely to copy conversion tables, like they don't copy
>> font declarations today. More likely, they will just include them:
>
> Hopefully. Some authors (with sufficient privileges) will certainly
> continue to use server-side scripts, though, because that’s about the
> same amount of work for them and gives the desired result in a lot more
> browsing environments.
>
>>> I propose that we either tackle a simple definition of an
>>> @text-transform rule or …
>
> Despite me suggesting more complex behavior in the past, I think a basic
> version of ‘@text-transform’ and no ‘full-size-kana’ in Level 3 would be
> the best solution. In Level 4 it could become more advanced.

If what I have currently drafted about @text-transform [1] feels too
advanced already,
it can be simplified without limiting future extensions by:

1) deferring the 'spaced' value of the character-type descriptor
2) deferring the character-type descriptor entirely
3) deferring the scope descriptor
4) deferring the OM

I think that if we are going to keep that model, the rest has too stay. If
we don't nail it down properly, we will have issues when trying to extend
it later.

In particular, even if we defer the things listed above, I think we still
have to resolve at least issue 1, 2 and 4 at the first level where this
is introduced.

  - Florian

[1] http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/at-text-transform