Re: [css3-transforms] Relation between mathematical description and effect of a transformation

On Apr 21, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:

> Dirk Schulze:
>>
>> A bug report [1] on W3C also points out that we should be more clear and
>> adapt more from SVG 1.1[2] as well as SVG Transform [3]. And I agree.

> Then, if the draft is still in such an early stage, why to publish this
> already as a public working draft?
> If it is not known yet, how the intended effects can be realised or how
> to specify it, it seems to be toooo early for such a public draft - and even
> in a public editor draft it should be mentioned, that essential parts
> are missing and have to be added, before for example the 3D transforms
> are understandable for the public ;o)
> I tried and tried to find out, how to simulate this behaviour for some
> quantitative tests - but no chance with this text. Of course, because
> current test implementations either ignore 3D completely or in major
> interesting parts like the projection matrix - there is not much to test
> yet ;o)
I agree that we could/should use formula descriptions of the calculation on the "Mathematical description" section, just like SVG Transforms or SVG 1.1 do it. Nevertheless, the calculation is described as prose text in detail on "3D Transform Rendering" [1]. Please follow the description about the "accumulated 3D transformation matrix". Of course it is not easy to understand without knowledge of 3D. I have to rely on the expertise of my editor colloquies on this topic as well sometimes. But I don't think that it is in the scope of the specification to teach 3D.

> Olaf
>

> PS: Not only the mailing list to be addressed is changed, the hint, that
> the SVG group contributes to these efforts is removed as well ;o)
I guess it was not in the template for CSS specifications that we use here. It looks like a wise idea to add it to this specification.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-transforms/#transform-3d-rendering