Re: [css3-flexbox] Initial value of 'flex' should make flexible boxes

On 04/20/2012 04:18 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>  wrote:
>> Ah, I see. That makes sense. How about if the main size computes to auto,
>> and flex has its initial value (whatever that winds up being), flex also
>> computes to auto? That way turning on flexbox would give you flexing by
>> default, but if you set an explicit width it respects that instead?
>
> That then breaks things like vertical flexboxes used solely for
> alignment, where you want the heights to shrinkwrap like normal,
> unless you again explicitly turn off flexing (or explicitly set
> "height:min-content;").

Well, if we had an alignment property that worked on block boxes,
you wouldn't need to use flexboxes solely for vertical alignment.

Using flexbox for vertical alignment is about as intuitive as
using display: table-cell, imho.

> It's really simple to turn it on, though, except for anonymous flexbox
> items.

Right.

~fantasai