W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > April 2012

Re: [css4-color] Grayscale shorthand (with alpha)

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:27:47 -0700
Message-ID: <CAGN7qDCHmrHQG8r0iVBXYEgoU-zzk-edPmpyPBFuoXz3HYEXAA@mail.gmail.com>
To: Rudolph Gottesheim <r.gottesheim@loot.at>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Hi Rudolph,

sorry that I overlooked this message.
Please take a look at my draft proposal to add blending to CSS:
There is a placeholder section that defines a property to add a blend mode
to the box shadow [1] or text shadow [2] which I think is what you are
looking for. In most of Adobe's authoring applications, shadows are always
blended with 'multiply' and there is currently no way to get this effect
with css.




On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Rudolph Gottesheim

> Am 17.04.2012 21:52, schrieb Brian Manthos:
>  I'm curious to hear more about why gray is so popular from an artistic /
>> designer perspective.
>> Is it the "black and white" muted photo affect (in which case a filter
>> might be better)?   I have a few other guesses as well.
> The use cases I was talking about are, as I said, mostly shadows. And most
> of the time you don't want a color shift in your shadow. You just want to
> darken part of the background.
> A similar use case would be text on a busy background (image). Often times
> designers darken or brighten a box behind the text to make it more legible.
> Here you also wouldn't want a color shift. Just semi-transparent black or
> white. (Or, sometimes, actually values in between.)
> So my proposal was actually more about darkening and brightening with
> color, rather than an actual shorthand for gray, I guess.
Received on Wednesday, 18 April 2012 20:28:20 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 25 March 2022 10:08:14 UTC