Re: [css3-background] Editorial: currentColor == default box-shadow color

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the box-shadow definition [1], the prose reads:
>
> If the color is absent, the used color is taken from the ‘color’ property.
>

> Isn’t this exactly what currentColor is for?
>
> [1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-box-shadow

Nope, it's subtly different. ^_^  In particular, the current
definition of currentColor is changed to its actual value at
computed-value time.  This doesn't play well with inheritance, since
you inherit the computed value.  Rather than waiting for the
definition to be changed (we were waiting for feedback from SVG about
changing it), we just used the above wording which means essentially
the same thing.

(Inheritance isn't a big deal for shadows, since you have to
explicitly request it via 'inherit', but it's better to avoid a wart
here when we change the definition later.)