Re: [css3-fonts] Addition of font-size: xxx-large

Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> Background: the idea is that document.execCommand("fontsize", false,
> "foo") is what authors call when the user selects some text and picks
> a size of "foo" from a drop-down.  Currently, the API supports only
> values of 1 to 7.

Right, and that's precisely where the problem lies, *not* in CSS!

> Most real-world WYSIWYG editors use execCommand() sparingly if at all
> because of lack of interop, but there are enough existing users of
> execCommand() that we can't break them.

I don't think more sensible values for fontSize will break anything here.
Let the old, not very interoperable behavior remain, and define a new
behavior that's a better match for CSS and more likely to be interoperable.

> So you're right, we do want to support other values instead of 1-7
> -- probably pt and maybe rem rather than percentages, but that's an
> aside -- but we still have to support the old values.

Why the restriction?  Why not allow any value that's allowed for font-size?

Cheers,

John