Re: [css3-fonts] Addition of font-size: xxx-large

Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> CSS 3 Fonts, like CSS 2.1, defines <absolute-size>s ranging from
> xx-small to xx-large.  The legacy HTML <font size=1> corresponds to
> xx-small, 2 is small (skipping x-small), and 3-6 are medium to
> xx-large.  There is no CSS equivalent to <font size=7> -- 3rem is
> different because it varies if you change the root element's font
> size.  I would like to request that a "font-size: xxx-large" value be
> defined, corresponding to <font size=7> (scaling factor of 3).
>
> WebKit already supports "font-size: -webkit-xxx-large".  Both HTML5
> and HTML Editing APIs refer to a nonexistent CSS value of "xxx-large":

I don't fully understand the logic behind the desired addition here.
The <font> element is considered obsolete so why is important to try and
make features associated with it's functionality interoperable?  Is
there much use of -webkit-xxx-large?

> The lack of xxx-large causes significant problems for editing (in the
> sense of <http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/editing/raw-file/tip/editing.html>).
> Rich-text editing commands (document.execCommand()) can create styles
> using either CSS or HTML tags.  The fontSize editing command accepts 1
> to 7 as parameters, because it was designed before CSS was commonly
> supported.  The parameters 1 to 6 work fine, but in CSS mode,
> document.execCommand("fontSize", false, "7") can't do anything useful.
> WebKit produces -webkit-xxx-large, which isn't interoperable, and
> Gecko doesn't support CSS mode for fontSize at all.  The editing spec
> says to output <font size=7> here even in CSS mode.

Again here, I'm not seeing why following the feature definition leads to
any sort of problem in real use.  It seems like you could just as well
trim out the use of 7 from the set of permissible values and not much
would change.  Unless there's really a lot of Webkit-specific content
that actually uses this.

I don't think it's a big deal to add it but as Tab said these relative
font-size values are a bit goofy to begin with, I'm not sure we should
be adding new ones.

Regards,

John Daggett