Re: [css3-syntax] Reviving the spec, starting with the parser

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi Tab,
>
> David Baron already mentioned it on one of one of his twitter posts. The number parsing does not respect scientific notations. Scientific notations are not part of CSS yet but are used by SVG presentation attributes. Some browsers (I bet all) use the capability of their CSS parsers to parse the SVG presentation attributes as well. That is the case for WebKit and IIRC for Gecko as well. Another difference beside scientific numbers is that SVG allows unit less values in some cases. Do you plan to address these needs of browsers as well?

Yes, I do plan to spec the scientific notation part.  It just wasn't
in CSS2.1, so my first pass at the tokenizer didn't include it. ^_^

SVG's unitless values are an extension of the grammar for certain
properties.  The property grammars will just be invoked directly,
without any specifics here in Syntax, so that's simple enough from a
spec perspective.

> Another part is the "quirks mode" that some browsers provide for backward compatibility (for instance for content that was created for internet explorer). On WebKit this "quirks mode" allows spaces between value and units, missing units and some other more tolerant behavior. How does this fit into the syntax specification? What is your advice here?

I plan to integrate the quirks that zcorpan finds are necessary for web compat.

~TJ