Re: [css3-syntax] Reviving the spec, starting with the parser

On Apr 12, 2012, at 7:31 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 4/12/12 10:15 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>> Another part is the "quirks mode" that some browsers provide for backward compatibility (for instance for content that was created for internet explorer). On WebKit this "quirks mode" allows spaces between value and units, missing units and some other more tolerant behavior.
>
> I think the best approach here is to go forward with the quirks mode
> spec proposed at http://simon.html5.org/specs/quirks-mode and have
> browsers align on it.  The CSS parser spec would need to support
> whatever quirks end up standardized.
>
> In particular, the "no unit" case does need to be handled in some
> properties for web compat (section 4.2 at the link above), but the
> "space between number and unit" does not, based on implementation
> experience.  Specifically, some UAs do not implement the latter quirk
> and it hasn't been a problem, hence that quirk is not needed in practice.
>
> Seem reasonable?

So we end up with a fragmented CSS parsing specification? css3-syntax for strict CSS parsing, HTML5 for quirks mode, as well as (already separated today) the SVG presentation attributes? Than css3-syntax should make sure that there are different entry points depending on the current parser mode for numbers and units

Dirk.