Re: [css4-ui] ::tooltip

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 19:53 -0700, Lea Verou wrote:
>> What advantages does this have over a ::tooltip pseudoelement?
>
> It might not, given other enhancements to "content", but the main
> advantage is making it clearer how to do more advanced formatting and
> internationalisation within tooltips. E.g. how would you use ::tooltip
> to include a fragment of MathML markup inside a tooltip?

Right now, tooltips can't contain MathML *anyway*, since they always
come from the @title attribute, which is string-valued.

If we have a tooltip pseudo, we can use Regions to move element content into it.

Anyway, I think this is a pretty reasonable idea, particularly if we
currently stick with the restriction that it only contains text.