Re: [selectors5] Proposal for a pseudo combinator

On Apr 5, 2012, at 4:44 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> Similarly, what about something like "p::before:hover::marker"?
> That's difficult just for my eyes to parse.  ^_^  Redone as "p ::
> before:hover :: marker", it's immediately much more understandable.

I disagree. I don't find it "much more understandable." In fact, I think having "::foo" as one chunk of text (no spaces) makes it much more clear that "foo" is not looking a <foo> element in the markup, but is instead something special (an element created by the CSS and then selected).

It might be a little more clear if there is a space *before* the "::". But honestly, I didn't have any problem parsing "p::before:hover::marker" in my mind. Because I have learned what "::" means already, and learning it with no spaces wasn't hard.