Re: Fwd:[css4-mediaqueries] Bandwidth Media Queries

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:09:40 +0200, Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Proposal by Chris Coyier: http://css-tricks.com/bandwidth-media-queries/

We have discussed this during the last conference call of the working
group. The general feeling is that there is indeed a need here that is
worth trying to address. Users on dial-up would probably appreciate it
just as much as users on slow mobile connection.

However, we are not completely sure it can be done well. Various problems
were raised on this mailing list and during the call: connection speed may
vary, going by the type of connection (3g, wifi, dial-up...) instead isn't
very reliable as it doesn't give you the actual speed, only the
theoretical limit and you may very well find wifi connections that are
slower in practice than 3g connections, the list of connection types would
be hard to establish...

As it stands, this proposal is not something that can be included in the
Media Queries specification, even at level 4. We would need a more
detailed proposal to see how this works out, and in order to be able to
evaluate it, having a few detailed use cases to test it against would be
very useful. Contributions either on use cases or on detailed proposals to
address this are welcome.

  - Florian