RE: [css3-background] clarify which properties in this module apply to ::first-letter and ::first-line

It's more than that.

The requirement to NOT allow it for box-shadow was explicitly stated.  Has the due diligence been done to research why that was the case?  How many pages on the planet would be broken by changing that?  Seems like an another post-CR arbitrary change to CSS3.

There's a larger story here also:  Don't put conformance requirements into the spec that are frivolous.  It's a waste of implementer resources to enforce requirements that you end up casually waving off later.