Re: [CSS21] Why do overflow values other than 'visible' establish a new block formatting context?

On Monday 2012-04-02 11:24 +0800, Daniel Tan/BoltClock wrote:
> This leads us to wonder: why is this so? I am under the impression
> that removing floats from normal flow will interfere with clipping
> and scrolling, but am not sure how exactly. I can't seem to find any
> property in particular.

Fundamentally, because if the spec didn't say this, then having
floats intersect with something that's scrollable would require the
browser to rewrap (around intruding floats) the contents of the
scrollable element every time it scrolls.  This is technically what
CSS 2.0 required, but it was never implemented, and it would have
been a huge problem for speed of scrolling.

-David