Re: Strawman proposal for UTR #50: Unicode Properties for Vertical Text Layout

On 9/30/2011 1:59 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
>> U+FF21 A FULLWIDTH LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A +
>> U+20DD ◌⃝ COMBINING ENCLOSING CIRCLE will be upright.
> Right. My point is that U+2460 is decomposed to U+0031 20DD by NFKD. U+2474 is U+0028 0031 0029. NFKD changing glyph orientation isn't great, but I don't know how to solve this.

IMHO, NFK* is just a disaster. It mixes very different foldings, with
very different notions and degrees of "sameness". I am not aware of any
process where it's useful, other than when mandated by a specification
(e.g. IDNA).

There has been an attempt to "break it apart" and define well-targeted,
independent foldings, but it proved to be too difficult to standardize that.

> It's great to hear that the definition is no longer per-block, and it
> sounds like a great way to go. Can't wait to see it.

  I just an inch away from being to make it public, but I have to go
through the due process. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Eric.