Re: [CSSOM] Revisiting transforms and getBoundingClientRect()

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 10:29 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure. With all these new point/quad methods, maybe we should bite the
>> bullet and have a WebPoint class with x, y members. Then WebQuad can have 4
>> WebPoints.
>>
>> The poorly-named ClientRect should become WebRect.
>>

> I don't think we should have "Web" prefixes on Web APIs. If we need a
> prefix, maybe CSSRect.
>

> Even when the same APIs should work for SVG elements, which have a non
> pixel-based coordinate system?

SVG elements don't really have CSS boxes so these APIs don't apply naturally
to SVG elements. We basically have to make up a definition for what the
various CSS boxes mean for SVG elements. Given we're making e.g.
element.contentBoxes return something for an SVG element, naming the result
type with a "CSS" prefix isn't doing any more violence to the platform.

In SVG, we'd also have to think about mapping between the SVG coordinate
> space and that of the enclosing HTML (if any), and vice-versa with
> <foreignobject>.

Yes. The mapping functions should definitely do that. The tricky bit is
defining the coordinate system used for source and destination SVG elements.
Probably the SVG bounding-box top-left.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our