Re: [css-speech] Heads-up: CSS WG plans last call for css3-speech (part 2)

Hello Paul, thank you for your comments.

SSML1.1 normatively references BCP47, which defines not only the syntax for language identifiers (used in xml:lang [1] and in the 'languages' attribute [2] of SSML markup), but also the language matching algorithm. Furthermore, the voice selection algorithm in SSML 1.1 relies on the "voice descriptions" [3] and "onlangfailure" [4] conformance requirements ('must') for speech processors.

CSS Level 3 supports a looser language model [5] (which doesn't normatively reference BCP47), and the Speech Module relies on a number of implementation-dependent properties of the underlying speech processor [6] (i.e. areas where there is no such strict conformance requirements as the ones in SSML). Although we aim at matching most SSML features, there is no 1-to-1 mapping due to intrinsic technical differences between SSML versus CSS document models.

On a more pragmatic note, I am in favor of managing complexity in order to encourage uptake amongst browser vendors and implementors within the e-book publishing field, at least for Level 3. The next Level of CSS Speech is likely to address shortcomings such as the lack of strict language support, 3D spatial audio, etc.

To conclude, I propose to defer the introduction of an equivalent to SSML's 'languages' attribute to the next major revision of CSS Speech.

Let us know if this satisfies you.
Kind regards, Daniel

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis11/#adef_xmllang