Re: [css3-ui] "Computed value" lines

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 21:57, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> I noticed a few suspicious "Computed value:" lines in
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/ :
>
>  For 'font', the property is a shorthand, so it does not have a
>  computed value.  There is no property for which the system font
>  keywords can be a computed value.
>
>  outline-width needs to depend on outline-style, as it does in CSS
>  2.1.
>
>  The computed values of 'icon' and 'cursor' should not depend on
>  which uri()s are resolvable, since the concept of computed value
>  shouldn't require accessing the network.  The computed value
>  should instead be a list, with uri()s converted to absolute.
>
>  The computed value of pointer-events should not have the ", or
>  else the inherited value", since other properties don't have
>  that.
>
>  I think the computed value of nav-* and of ime-mode should just be
>  "as specified"; the additional prose there doesn't make sense to
>  me.

I concur with all of your observations, good catches.

Updated accordingly: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/

In addition, I believe you have identified good design patterns for
computed values and have captured them abstracted/generalized as such
on the CSSWG wiki:

http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/computed-values

Thanks,

Tantek