Re: [css-device-adapt][cssom] Missing VIEWPORT_RULE definition

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:08:22 +0900, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
wrote:
>> We have a similar wiki page for CSSOM that people can use to register
>> new constants:
>>
>> http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/cssom-constants
>>
>> Nobody has done so yet it seems.
>
> This is better than nothing but I had no idea this existed.  How about a
> note in the spec pointing to this page?  And we should probably add in
> the constants defined in various specs already (e.g. the constants in
> CSS3 Animation).

I should do that.

> The current spec has this:
>
>> Vendors are encouraged to use reasonably unique values outside this
>> range so that they do not clash with extensions from other vendors.
>> For example, the first value for Mozilla could be 0x08EC0001 and
>> 0x09E8A001 could be the first for Opera.
>
> Where the heck do those numbers come from?!?

Ian made them up. The first can be read as GECKO001, the other as OPERA001
;-)

> Wouldn't it make more sense to have a registry of vendor-specific
> constants on the wiki page?
>
> -o-       1000
> -ms-      2000
> -moz-     3000
> -webkit-  4000

I don't think it matters much. Better to just standardize early on.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/