Re: Selecting the parent of an element

Several of us had issues with ! which we thought ! meant not as it does in
pretty much every language.

Similarly $ was recently rejected because it is being used in new CSS
variables.

It has also been suggested that :has() (see jquery and past posts) would
mostly avoid this problem by adding no new single tokens to the main
selector, keeping the search in the right direction and being useful
multiply in the same selector.