Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

On 10/1/11 8:47 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> I would agree that from an implementation standpoint, this is not optimal.

It's not optimal from an authoring standpoint either: it significantly
increases the cost of having a bunch of display:none subtrees in your DOM.

> We should start with what behavior makes sense for authors, though. What do
> you want display:none to do to an element's animation, or one running on a child
> of that element ? Should it pause the animation ? Stop it ? Same question for
> visibility:hidden.

visibility:hidden shouldn't affect animations in any way, imho (e.g. if
you're animating a width or height you can see the effect even if
visibility:hidden).

display:none is an interesting question.  My main concern is whether
animations should _start_ on display:none elements.  Continuing them on
such elements seems fine to me.

Would authors expect an animation to start on a display:none element
before it's shown?

-Boris