Re: [css3-speech] LC comment: please do NOT drop the "at-riske" voice-* properties

On 09/30/2011 08:11 PM, Gregory Rosmaita wrote:
> aloha!
>
> as both a content consumer and creator, i STRONGLY urge the editors
> of css3-speech retain the "at-risk" features which the "Status of
> This Document" states:
>
> QUOTE cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-speech/#status"
> may be dropped at the end of the CR period if there has not been
> enough interest from implementers: 'voice-balance', 'voice-duration',
> 'voice-pitch', 'voice-range', and 'voice-stress'.
> UNQUOTE
>
> these "at-risk" features are part of the basic speech characteristics
> toolbox with which almost ALL speech output users of all proficiency
> levels are familiar. [...]

Hello Gregory,
I think you make a very good case for the importance of these properties.
The reason they are marked at-risk is due to concerns that they might not
be implemented in a timely manner. Rest assured that if they are dropped
during CR, they will be added back in the next Level of this module, which
will give them more time to be implemented.

In general, the CSSWG prefers to move stable features to REC than to
hold back an entire module for a few unstable features: this allows us
to release features faster. If we drop these features due to lack of
implementations it does not mean we have abandoned them, only that they
will progress at a later date.

It may happen that the first CSS Speech module to reach Recommendation
will not have the full expressiveness that is desired; but we would
rather have soon a basic Recommendation that works, which we can then
build upon with further work, than to have for many years a partially-
implemented Candidate Recommendation, whose stability and interoperability
is patchy.

Of course if implementers see the value of these properties and implement
them along with the rest of the module, then there will be no need to drop
them during CR. :)

Let me know if this addresses your concerns.

~fantasai