Re: [css3-layout] PFWG comment 2 of 2 on CSS Template Layout Module: CSS code.

Hello Michael and others,

The second of the two forgotten issues:

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 21:11:08 Michael Cooper wrote:
> The following is comment two of two from the Protocols and Formats
> Working Group on the CSS Template Layout Module draft of 29 April
> 2010 <http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-css3-layout-20100429/>. Approval
> to send this as formal WG comments is recorded at
> http://www.w3.org/2010/06/16-pf-minutes.html#item08. Thanks to Léonie
> Watson for preparing these comments.
>
> The way rows are defined within the display property could be made
> more consistent with other property values and improved for blind
> and partially sighted developers. At the moment each row is enclosed
> in quotes, and visually formatted on a different line.
>
> Although the visual formatting isn't relevant to the way the CSS is
> processed, it does help with readability. We'd suggest that commas
> are used to separate each row within the display property, giving
> greater clarity and consistency.

I've opened an issue in the issue tracker, but I'm reluctant to add a
comma right away. The comma in CSS often, though not always, signals an
alternative, e.g., in 'font-family', where the commas separate fallback
fonts, used only if the fonts before it aren't usable.

We are also discussing a so-called "functional notation" for the
template (to make it easier to add alternative notations for templates
later, in case we discover the need for that). In such a notation, a
comma would fit more naturally, e.g.:

    display: template("a b c",
                      "a d c");

Bert