Re: [css3-lists] glyphs in single string

On 11/28/2011 11:21 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> So, new proposal based on this:  allow<string>, IDENT, or<image>.
>
> Hm, new problem.  In the symbols() function, if IDENTs are allowed,
> the "as<type>" bit requires lookahead.  There are several ways around
> this:
>
> 1. Disallow the "as" identifier in symbols() (or everywhere?).
> 2. Change symbols() to put the type first.
> 3. Remove the ability to specify the type in symbols().
> 4. Restrict symbols() to only allow strings and images (the full
> @counter-style can still take idents).
> 5. Only allow strings and images everywhere.
>
> Thoughts?

I suggest doing both 2 and 4. I suggest 2 because if you have a long
list of symbols, the type gets lost. Putting it first sets the context
for understanding the list of symbols. Doing 4 means we can expand the
types later, if we come up with others that we need.

~fantasai