Re: [css3-*] [css3-box] Box Tree terminology for CSS3 specs

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net> wrote:
> On 23/11/2011 00:09, L. David Baron wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday 2011-11-22 12:31 -0800, fantasai wrote:
>>>
>>> So that we can disentangle boxes from elements and logical boxes from box
>>> pieces in our CSS3 specs, I'm proposing the following terminology
>>> (borrowing
>>> from Rossen's work on css3-break):
>
> I'm happy with the idea of disentangling these concepts (of course), but I
> share David's concerns about pseudo-elements.

I don't really share these concerns.  ::before, ::after, ::marker, and
many other pseudo-elements we have thought about adding are basically
normal boxes.  It's only ::first-line, and to a somewhat lesser extent
::first-letter, that cause problems.  These should be called out
specially, so that by default all the other well-behaved
pseudo-elements work normally without us having to go to extra effort
and verbosity.