Re: [css3-lists] upper-hexadecimal vs. hexadecimal & text-transform

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:03:57 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:

>> In a somewhat recent list marker fixup (should be present in Opera
>> Next) we
>> actually consciously avoided inheriting things like text-transform
>> because
>> we figured it would be unexpected to have e.g. list-style:lower-roman
>> overridden by text-transform:uppercase.
>
> That's a useful detail to know.  Is there anything else you thought
> shouldn't inherit?  Was a comprehensive review done, or was it just a
> spot decision about that one property?

Something in between, I suppose. Some other related properties were also
considered. Did a brief re-visit just now, looking at IE9, Firefox nightly
and 3.6, Webkit dev, Opera and Opera Next:

text-transform: applied by IE
font-style, font-weight, font-family: applied by all
font-variant: applied by IE and WebKit
text-decoration: applied for 'inside' only by Fx3.6 and Opera Next (seemed
to make some sense but we'll probably revert this now that we're the odd
one out)
letter-spacing: applied by all except Fx

Maybe this could be represented by a set of UA declarations on ::marker?

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA