Re: [css3-lists] glyphs in single string

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 01:39:36PM +0100, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>
>>  - Issue: Is it possible to find a syntax for several list markers to be
>>    written in one string? One possible solution is:
>>
>>     @counter-style lower-norwegian {
>>       type: alphabetic;
>>       glyphs: 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzæøå';
>>     }
>
> With the above, the specification of where one entry ends and the next begins
> is important, particularly considering characters in decomposed form.
>
> Would introducing space separation 'a b c ...' be acceptable, or do we
> want to try specifying some other division of a string into entries?
>
> Spacing, while longer, would at least allow easy expansion to the odd
> multi-character entry like Greek "στ", and might give less surprising
> results for borderline cases like Αι or ij that are sometimes considered
> a single character.

Yes, this was brought up in the issue now marked in the spec.  I
suspect we'd have to define it in terms of grapheme clusters.

Introducing spacing puts it closer to the normal syntax.

> A vaguely related issue with the above syntax is distinguishing between
> glyphs:'abc...' and glyphs:'•'.  Should one of the keywords be changed,
> say to glyphs-string?  Or do we want to guess based on length of the
> string (or presence of spaces) ?

Guessing is definitely out.  In the issue, I presented it with a
disambiguating keyword.